- 1 package Speckled Hen Farm Apple Brats (you might like to substitute the Tart Cherry Sausage) uncooked, casings removed
- 8 cups ciabatta or French bread (about a pound) cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups nut and dried fruit trail mix (without coconut) coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to top the stuffing after placing in the baking pan
Leave the bread cubes out overnight on a cookie sheet so they can dry out. Turn once so they dry evenly. In a large skillet, heat oil and 3 tbsp of the butter on medium heat. Saute the onion until nicely softened. Add the celery and continue sautéing until the celery is just crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large bowl.
In the same pan, brown the sausage for about 5 minutes. Let it cool and then add it to the vegetables. Add the trail mix, fresh herbs and bread cubes. Mix to combine. Slowly add the broth, mixing carefully, making sure the stuffing is moist but not too compact. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
If not stuffing the turkey (which I and the USDA do not recommend) butter a 10 cup ovenproof baking dish and transfer the stuffing into it. Pat the top with butter and cover with foil.
Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for about 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes until the top is brown.